History & Key Facts
2006 - 2007
Rothesay Life founded and authorised by the Financial Services Authority (FSA).
First transaction completed: £700m buy-out of the Rank Group's pension fund, the largest buy-out at the time.
2008 - 2010
Total of £4.3bn pension scheme de-risking transactions completed, including the largest buy-in at the time.
Acquistion of Paternoster with £3bn bulk annuity portfolio.
2011 - 2013
£5bn of further pension de-risking transactions completed.
New investors in Rothesay Life - GIC, Blackstone and MassMutual.
Acquisition of Metlife Assurance Limited with £2.5bn bulk annuity portfolio.
2014 - 2015
£5bn of further annuity de-risking, including first reinsurance transaction.
Rothesay purchases £6bn annuity portfolio from Aegon UK, the first substantial annuity transfer since Solvency II implementation.
Blackstone, GIC and MassMutual acquire Goldman Sach's shareholding in Rothesay Life.
- Approximately 390,000 lives insured by Rothesay Life
- £902 million paid by Rothesay Life to policyholders in 2015
- Over £20 billion of assets under management, invested to support the payments to our pensioners
- A large investor in the UK economy, with over £4.5 billion invested in the areas of transportation, infrastructure, housing and utilities
- Over 170 pension fund transactions processed