Actuarial Graduate Programme
Permanent positions starting in both January and September 2018
- Rothesay Life was established as a regulated life insurer in 2007 to professionally manage annuity risks assumed from UK defined benefit pension schemes.
- Established as a 100%-owned subsidiary of Goldman Sachs but now completely independent.
- Over 380,000 lives insured by Rothesay Life.
- £1.3 billion paid by Rothesay Life to policyholders in 2016.
- Generated IFRS pre-tax profit of £328m and increased assets under management to £23.7bn in 2016, making us the fourth largest annuity fund in the UK.
- A large investor in the UK economy, with over £14.5 billion invested in the areas of transportation, infrastructure, social housing and education.
- Relentless focus on quality means that 98% of surveyed policyholders rate our services as “excellent” or “good”.
- Headcount grew by 40% in 2016 to support our objectives – we now have over 180 people and expect this growth to continue.
- Won the prestigious Insurer of the Year 2016 award from Risk magazine and also the 2016 Risk Management Provider of the year from Pension Age magazine.
Our capital actuarial team focuses on the actuarial aspects of Rothesay's solvency position and financial results. Candidates would be expected to study for the IFoA qualification with an expected specialism in life insurance. When you join us your work will be highly varied, involving all aspects of Solvency II, IFRS, Economic capital and MCEV reporting and development. You will need to be able to balance teamwork and competition, intensity and integrity, intellectual curiosity and leadership potential with a passion for excellence and an interest in the financial markets.
Our graduate roles will see you working with support from thought-leaders in the industry and excellent on-the-job training supplemented with class-based business training where best applied. We are a company of exceptional calibre, with a client portfolio and shareholder base to match. We believe strongly in our meritocracy where success and achievement are rewarded. We will regularly discuss your career aspirations with you and together decide on the best way forward for you and your career. In addition, we will offer full study package support for your professional study.
Skills & Experience:
- We recruit from all academic disciplines; although a high degree of numeracy is required.
- Impeccable academic credentials are essential. You must have an expected degree minimum of a 1st or equivalent from a leading university.
- Internships & work experience in the financial services is highly desired but not essential.
- You will need to demonstrate a clear interest and intellectual curiosity in the financial markets and an interest in applying your knowledge and skills to the pension insurance market.
- You must be available for permanent work within 2 months of your graduation in 2018.
- Fluency in English is a pre-requisite.
How to Apply:
- You will need a 1 page CV and a 1 page cover letter (PDF format) that states in 300 words or less, why you want to work for Rothesay Life, why we should consider you and why you believe the match between yourself and our Company is a good one.
- Please apply via the link ensuring your documents are in PDF format.
- Applications will be accepted until November 30th 2017. Telephone interviews and onsite interviews will be held in December – If you are unavailable in December for any reason, please highlight this in your cover letter.
- Technical Skills - Demonstrates strong technical skills required for the role, pays attention to detail, takes initiative to broaden his/her knowledge and demonstrates appropriate analytical skills
- Drive and Motivation – Be a self-starter; successfully handles multiple tasks, takes initiative to improve his/her own performance, works intensely towards extremely challenging goals and persists in the face of obstacles or setbacks
- Client and Business Focus - Effectively handles difficult requests, builds trusting, long-term relationships with clients and service providers, helps the client to identify/define needs and manages client/business expectations
- Teamwork – Demonstrate evidence of being a strong team player, collaborates with others within and across teams, encourages other team members to participate and contribute and acknowledges others' contributions
- Communication Skills - Communicates what is relevant and important in a clear and concise manner and shares information/new ideas with others
- Judgement and Problem solving - Thinks ahead, anticipates questions, plans for contingencies, finds alternative solutions and identifies clear objectives. Sees the big picture and effectively analyses complex issues
- Creativity/Innovation - Looks for new ways to improve current processes and develop creative solutions that are grounded in reality and have practical value
- Influencing Outcomes - Presents sound, persuasive rationale for ideas or opinions. Takes a position on issues and influences others' opinions and presents persuasive recommendations