Reinsurance Transition Analyst
Job title: Reinsurance Transition Analyst
Reports to: Reinsurance Transition Manager
Overview - Rothesay Life Operations Team
The Rothesay Life Operations Team is responsible for supporting the contractual commitments of the insurance, trading and structuring side of the business, including all hedging and investment activity. It provides solutions to new asset structures, validates day to day trading activity, monitors contractual life cycle and regulatory obligations and creates effective and efficient controls and processes to support the business.
Overview - Reinsurance Transition Team
The Reinsurance Transition Team sits within the Rothesay Life Operations Team. The team is focussed specifically on the reinsurance product, a key longevity hedging instrument for the Rothesay Life business, and manages the implementation of all reinsurance agreements across new and existing reinsurance counterparties. The core responsibility of the team is to manage the pipeline of reinsurance activity and to ensure that all trades are implemented in line with their contractual requirements, with a view to facilitating future BAU processing both internally and by our Third Part Administrators (TPAs). Reinsurance trades have varying structures and complexities, and therefore transitioning these deals through to a BAU process involves a dynamic and tailored approach, adapting to existing best practices and standard procedures.
Overview - Reinsurance Transition Analyst Role
This role will suit a person who is a self-starter, confident in planning project work and managing delivery requirements to deadlines, and confident in communicating with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders, as such excellent written and verbal skills are essential.. An understanding of the role of the Operations function in the context of a financial services firm is also required.
Candidates must possess an analytical mind-set, where they are able to use initiative to formulate processes that achieve project goals, while also maintaining a controls mind-set. A high level of technical skill is sought and prior experience of large data set analysis and reconciliation in a dynamic role is desired. Candidates should also be able to effectively delegate tasks to other members of the team as necessary, and be able to plan and prioritise workload in the context of broader team projects and deliverables.
This role allows candidates a large degree of autonomy, so it is important that they are proactive and driven to deliver against targets whilst managing stakeholder expectations effectively. The role would ideally suit a candidate with 3-5 years’ work experience in the pensions/reinsurance de-risking sector, but is potentially also suitable for a candidate with an Operations/Technology background coming from an investment bank or other financial services company. Due to the dynamic nature of this role, previous work experience is essential and motivation to move into an implementation role with a challenging remit is sought.
The Reinsurance Transition Analyst will be expected to:
• Interpret and summarise reinsurance contracts within an operational context
• Liaise with internal stakeholders to understand and manage business requirements for the operational implementation of reinsurance agreements
• Work closely with our TPAs to implement reinsurance agreements, ensuring installations are completed in line with contractual deadlines, and that all control processes are in place and adhered to.
• Facilitate the migration of reinsurance data as part of the transition process
• Perform and oversee large data reconciliations and follow through the query resolution process, helping to plan and implement remediation work
• Contribute to the Client Relationship Management (CRM) function for our growing list of reinsurance counterparties, attend client meetings and lead conference calls to maintain dialogue and manage client expectations in terms of contractual deliverables
• Ensure processes are set up effectively so that all implemented operational aspects of reinsurance agreements can be handed over to the BAU Team
• Feedback on existing working practices, and strive to improve, standardise, and document operational procedures
• Take ownership across multiple transition projects at the same time
Skills & Experience
• Minimum 2:1 in a degree from a leading university (please note strong candidates with exceptional work experience will also be considered should the degree criteria not be met)
• Minimum 3 years’ work experience in a dynamic role in the financial services space
• Ability to multi-task effectively and monitor deliverables and deadlines
• Ability to communicate effectively and confidently with external and internal stakeholders
• Understanding of risk controls in an operational environment
• Accuracy and absolute attention to detail
• Strong problem solving ability and considered decision making skills
• Ability to summarise and communicate complex data queries
• Advanced MS Excel skills
• Candidate should show an interest in project work focussed around data migration and implementation
• Strong communication and stakeholder management skills
• Desire to work as part of team in a collaborative environment
• Proactive approach and motivation to deliver above and beyond core functions
• Basic VBA scripting skills, and an understanding of the potential applications of VBA in an operational context
• Interest in technology and an understanding of the potential applications of technology in an operational context
• Reinsurance expertise desired