Asset Operations Analyst
Job title: Asset Operations Analyst
Reports to: Head of Asset Operations
The Rothesay Life Operations Team is responsible for supporting the contractual commitments of the insurance, trading and structuring side of the business, including all hedging and investment activity. It provides solutions to new asset structures, validates day to day trading activity, monitors contractual life cycle and regulatory obligations and creates effective and efficient controls and processes to support the business.
The Asset Operations team provides dedicated trade and middle office support functions to the Rothesay Life Trading and Asset Origination desks, who are responsible for the hedging and investment side of the business respectively, typical of a trading or structuring desk within an investment bank. The principle difference is that Rothesay Life is a cross-asset business and so has regular trading in various vanilla and structured products, which the Asset Operations team have direct exposure to from a trade support perspective. Asset Operations is also directly responsible for Rothesay Life’s daily treasury management and oversight of collateral management functions performed by our outsourced administrator, ensuring day to day liquidity and counterparty risk is managed and escalated accordingly.
This is a permanent analyst level role, and will suit an individual who has prior experience in a fixed income, derivative trading or structuring middle office role within an investment bank, and is motivated by working in a dynamic, fast paced and demanding team environment. You will gain a thorough understanding about how an asset trading business operates end to end, within the umbrella of an insurance company. You will need to be able to work independently as well as being part of a broader support team, and be able to present risks and solutions to day to day and longer term issues to immediate and senior management across the business.
Key activities include:
- Daily trade activity validation and reconciliation, ensuring trades booked in risk are reconciled to the books and records managed by our administrator
- Alongside our administrator, support the settlement and life cycle management of a dynamic and innovative business covering a variety of products, much of which is traded on a daily basis; Interest & Inflation Rate, and Cross Currency swaps, options, and spot and forward FX
Credit Default swaps including both Negative Basis packages and Index trading, Bonds, across Supranational, Sovereign and Sub-Sovereign, Corporate, Infrastructure sectors, Bilateral & tri party repos, Long term secured funding structures including commercial real estate, infrastructure, ground rent.
- Manage trade related queries during the trade review, confirmation and settlement process and act as an intermediary with other teams, where necessary.
- Support for new structured transactions, including design of new processes and contributions to risk memos where products are new to the business
- Support intra-day funding, cashflow management and cash reconciliations for the business
- Work closely with the Trading, Structuring, Finance, Risk, Quants/Strats and Technology teams
- Understand Rothesay Life’s regulatory obligations under EMIR with respect to trade activity, and upcoming clearing and collateral rules and obligations
Skills & Experience:
- Possess a 1st or 2:1 degree from a leading university
- Minimum 2 years experience in either a trading or structuring middle office or trade support role
- Experience and knowledge of the one or more of the products listed above, but deep technical understanding of either Interest Rate Swaps or Credit Default Swaps in particular
- Strong MS Excel skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and stay focused on risk management, absolute attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple projects, manage own workload and work as part of team
- Strong communications skills to clearly articulate status and issues to others
- Strong analytical and presentational skills
- Ability to work with complex documentation
- Understanding of risk controls in a broad environment