Part VII transfer
Annuities are a capital-intensive business under Solvency II. We knew there was a competitive market, and saw an opportunity to de-risk. [Rothesay Life] was crystal clear about what it could and couldn’t do. It felt like they had thought everything through and showed real expertise on the risks of an insurance-to-insurance transfer under Solvency II.Stephen McGee, Aegon UK’s chief financial officer
- ‘Part VII transfer of £6.4bn of annuity policies to Rothesay Life involving 187,000 policy holders
- The first Solvency II-compliant transaction approved by the UK PRA setting precedents for transitional arrangements
- Significant amount of the longevity risk was reinsured pre-execution
- Economic terms were locked in by agreeing the premium upfront and then converting to roll forward to lock-in capital release and terms
- In September 2015, Aegon commenced a process to de-risk its UK annuity portfolio
- On 11 April 2016, Aegon announced the sale of two-thirds of its UK annuity portfolio to Rothesay Life, equivalent to a premium of £6.4bn
- The transaction was structured initially as a reinsurance contract pending the legal transfer process regulatory and court approvals
- The Part VII Transfer was approved at a Hearing of the High Court 13 June 2017 and became effective at 00.01am BST on 30 June 2017
Rothesay Life News
16 January 2019
First Insurer to receive PASA Accreditation
The Pensions Administration Standards Association (PASA) announced today that Rothesay Life is the latest organisation to be awarded Accreditation.
28 November 2018
ROTHESAY LIFE WINS INSURER OF THE YEAR
Rothesay Life is the winner of the Insurer of the Year award at the Risk 2019 Awards.
10 October 2018
AGE UK LOVE CHRISTMAS 2018 CELEBRITY CAROL CONCERT
Rothesay Life is delighted to extend our relationship with Age UK for the fourth consecutive year by supporting the Age UK Love Celebrity Christmas Carol Concert.